Keeping your Laguna Niguel residence comfy can eat up a good amount of money. The average family spends about $172 on monthly energy costs, according to ENERGY STAR®, or around $2,060 each year. At least half of that is for heating and cooling.
Many homes have programmable thermostats, but most people don’t bother to program them. The process is time-consuming, detailed and only gives you limited options for desired temperatures. When your house is kept at an identical temp throughout the day, it requires gas and electricity and negatively influences your monthly bill.
Smart thermostats adjust to your day-to-day activities and adjust the temp to accompany it. But can getting one really conserve money on heating and cooling? Yes, and here’s why.
Studies Show Smart Thermostats Decrease on Energy Bills
Independent studies have determined these devices can result in major savings.
These studies involved home energy costs in 41 states before and after installing a Nest smart thermostat. Nest said the study determined its thermostats can save up to 12% on heating and 15% on cooling, resulting in an approximated savings of $131 to $145 yearly.
With the average smart thermostat priced between $100–$250, those savings can help it pay for itself. And most local energy companies provide rebates for smart thermostats because they’re ENERGY STAR® certified.
How Does a Smart Thermostat Work?
After your smart thermostat is ready to go, you’ll first set it just like any other thermostat. You’ll switch it up and down, so the thermostat can determine your preferences. Then, it will start creating a program that helps you conserve more money, whether you’re at home or gone. Because it geofences with your smartphone, you won’t have to put it on your list to adjust it when you exit or return.
Pros and Cons of Having a Smart Thermostat
As we talked about previously, smart thermostats provide lots of pluses to your home and utility costs, like:
- No need to program—Your smart thermostat will learn your routine, so you won’t need to use up time using programs or remember to turn it up or down.
- Knows when you get home and leave—Because lots of smart thermostats geofence with your phone, your home will move into an energy-efficient setting when you leave and be cozy when you get back.
- Remote temperature management—You’ll be able to keep an eye on your home’s temperature from just about any location, due to an app on your phone.
- Monitor heating and cooling use—Many smart thermostats provide great data through their app, including how long you needed heating and cooling on a specific day.
- Reminders—Select smart thermostats will let you know about crucial maintenance tasks, including when you’re due to get a new air filter.
- Extra savings—Many local energy companies have rebates for smart thermostats, so contact with yours for more info.
Having said that, there’s a few points you should contemplate regarding getting a smart thermostat in your house:
- Compatibility—Depending on the type and age of your heating and cooling system, a smart thermostat might not work. If you don’t know, it’s best to check with an HVAC pro like Ocean Air Conditioning and Heating . We also recommend having it professionally installed. This guarantees that you have the right number of wires and that it’s linked properly. Some systems don’t come with a common wire, which leads to compatibility troubles with a smart thermostat. This wire runs your thermostat, so if your home doesn’t have a C-wire, we can install one.
- Housing situation—If you own your residence and plan to reside there for years, it’s a good investment to have a smart thermostat. If you plan to move soon or rent, we advise delaying unless you plan to take the thermostat with you. If you rent, you’ll typically need to get your landlord’s permission first before getting a new thermostat.
- Cost—Smart thermostats cost more than programmable thermostats, and we advise having yours professionally installed. However, the energy savings over time can help pay for itself.
- Lifestyle—Does a family member work from home, or is someone often at the house? If so, you might not see as big of savings, but you’ll enjoy the convenience of not needing to program or adjust a thermostat.
Rely on Ocean Air Conditioning and Heating for Your Smart Thermostat Needs
At Ocean Air Conditioning and Heating , our top purpose is to keep your home pleasant while helping you conserve more energy costs. If you’re considering installing a smart thermostat, our specialists can help, from picking the ideal model to expert installation. Call us at 949-525-9119 today to learn more.