According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep in mind.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have pests or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Ocean Air Conditioning and Heating in Laguna Niguel about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Ocean Air Conditioning and Heating . A regular checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Examining your system regularly and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts clean.
More ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and change them when necessary.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Laguna Niguel home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Ocean Air Conditioning and Heating at 949-525-9119 or schedule an appointment online.