As the heat rises, so does your AC bills. To keep your AC bills controlled you might be thinking, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Laguna Niguel?
It’s a widespread belief that turning your air conditioner on and off throughout the day is wasteful. This is actually a misconception.
Keeping your AC going all the time means you’re not using it very efficiently. We suggest moving your thermostat to a higher setting when you’re elsewhere, and turning it back down when you come home. You can do this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat will do everything for you.
It’s far more laborious for your system to achieve the same setting all day long. It can also lead to a lot of wear and tear to your air conditioner, since it’s constantly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your energy bills, it could also lead to a shorter life expectancy for your air conditioner.
Regardless, the larger the difference between your house’s temperature and the outside temperature, the higher your energy costs will be. So, what can you do to keep cool and keep your utility bills down in the summer season? Here are our ideas based upon recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Methods to Increase Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Tweak Your Thermostat. The DOE states that you can conserve up to 10% yearly on heating and cooling by raising your thermostat 7-10 degrees during the time you’re out. During the warmer months, it’s advised to position your thermostat at 78 degrees while you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re away. It’s additionally important to avoid setting your thermostat to a colder setting than normal when you turn on your air conditioner. This doesn’t actually cool your home any sooner, it just leads to higher utility expenses. While these temperatures may appear warm, there are a number of methods to keep comfortable without having to always run the AC.
- Take Advantage of Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says dialing up the thermostat by only 2 degrees and utilizing your ceiling fan can decrease AC by up to 14% over the course of the summer season. It’s important to remember that fans cool people, not areas. So, when you leave the room, turn the fan off to conserve energy. Also, keeping blinds low and curtains shut during the day helps keep chilled air inside. There are also some window treatments intended to deliver extra insulation and enhance energy efficiency.
- Properly Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky gaps around a house enable cool air to rapidly slip out and warmer air to get within. This could cause your AC unit having to work harder to keep your home cooler and your AC costs to skyrocket. Check that any cracks, doors and windows are properly sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are easy solutions for leaks or drafts close to windows and doors.
- Arrange Routine Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance makes sure your AC is always running at its most energy efficient. This permits our pro to identify little issues before they become substantial dilemmas. A clean AC unit is usually more efficient and may even live for a greater period of time.
- Invest in a Smart Thermostat. One of the easiest ways to guarantee comfort and energy savings is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat automatically changes the temperature based on your daily schedule. It works together with your smartphone to notice when you’re at your house or gone to enhance your efficiency. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could possibly save you about $180 annually on energy bills.
- Consider Replacing Your Air Conditioning Unit. You can foresee a sufficiently maintained AC to last for 15-20 years. But if you’re often needing us for air conditioning repair or your AC bills are increasing with no change in thermostat settings, it may be time for a replacement. We supply numerous energy-efficient air conditioners, like ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without bargaining comfort.
Improve Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with Ocean Air Conditioning and Heating
No one wants to see their utility bill rise during the summer. If you’re seeking more ways to keep your energy consumption and expenses down this summer, our professionals can help. Give us a call at 949-317-4175 or contact us online now for extra information.