Spring is in the air here in Laguna Niguel and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The Ocean Air Conditioning and Heating team has some recommendations that will work to keep your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home seem as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to coincide with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your fabulous trip on social media, but try to put it off until after you return to post anything about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to save some energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Ocean Air Conditioning and Heating in Laguna Niguel a call at 949-525-9119.