Whether you appreciate winter or desire the warmer months in Laguna Niguel, a lot of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Look at the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it should be switched out. We recommend at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can set temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The team at Ocean Air Conditioning and Heating can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Ocean Air Conditioning and Heating in Laguna Niguel a call to get started. Give us a shout at 949-525-9119 or schedule an appointment with us online.